VMware Cloud Community
remp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Inquiry to migrate VMware

Hello,

I introduce myself, I am system administrator in a town council in France and to talk straight I understand very little English

I run a Windows environment and now 4 ESX servers version 3.5 with a VitualCenter

This is my first post on your forum

I have several questions

I have a VMware ESX 3.5 version with 4 ESX servers and VirtualCenter server

Question 1)

Is it appropriate to migrate to 3.5 Update04 rather than migrate to 4.0 (vSphere) knowing that the update is included in the maintenance of VMware?

Question 2)

Having no resource available in France for migration to 4.0 (vSphere), Is it hard to do? How do I update my license?

Is there a particular method to apply?

Question 3)

If I simply update my esx servers in version 3.5 Update04 Is it possible to do it in stages? As a first time to update my VirtualCenter and continue to use my esx normally and then update my esx servers a few days later?

We have production obligations and it is difficult to do everything in one operation

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ooops . . misread that - answered on the upgrade process . . not licensing . .. sorry

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

to 1.) If you want to use new features like FT, distibuted swithches and so, you can upgrade to ESX 4.

to 2.) You have to look online in your license portal if you can upgrade free to vsphere licenses!!

Upgradepath is.

1.) VC

2.) VUM

3.)Host

4.) VM ´Hardware an VM Tools

5.) Sure you can upgrade to U4 in steps, first vcenter then VUM, after that crate a baseline for U4, update you Hosts step by step, and if they are all to U4, upgrade your vmtools in all your VMs!!

Hope I couldd help you!!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

hi - Welcome

Question 1) Is it appropriate to migrate to 3.5 Update04 rather than migrate to 4.0(vSphere) knowing that the update is included in the maintenance ofVMware?Yes, I have done this as I amwaiting for the first majorupdate release (force of habit) - I do have vSphere for testing in my lab - exclusively though!Question 3)

If I simply update my esx servers in version 3.5 Update04 Is it

possible to do it in stages? As a first time to update my VirtualCenter

and continue to use my esx normally and then update my esx servers a

few days later?

Absolutely..

the upgrade path is detailed in the above file . .

But it is VC

ESX hosts

VM Tools

VM hardware

And you can go at any pace you like

You can manage 3.5 hosts from the new vSphere VC . . and even run 3.5 and 4 together in the same cluster

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ooops . . misread that - answered on the upgrade process . . not licensing . .. sorry

0 Kudos
remp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for the answers

0 Kudos