VMware Cloud Community
TxTechLaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Initial ESX network config with iSCSI SAN

Hi all,

I am installing 2 ESX 3.5 servers which will connect to an EqualLogic iSCSI SAN.

The SAN is on a VLAN, 10.x.x.200 with a 255.255.255.224 gateway. This VLAN is non-routable, no DNS servers, etc.

What I'm trying to figure out, this is for the initial ESX install, when I set the network (console) config, should I enter IP addressing for the VLAN, example A:

IP Adress: 10.x.x.201

Gateway: 255.255.255.224

Primary DNS: blank

Secondary DNS: blank

Or, example B, should I use our 'public' addressing:

IP Adress:129.x.x.201

Gateway: 255.255.255.0

Primary DNS:129.x.x.1

Secondary DNS: 129.x.x.2

I know that with the VIC I can later add vSwitches, etc., but at least for the initial install, I want the configuration to offer the smoothest operation. Thank you for any insight you can provide!

Chad

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

What I'm trying to figure out, this is for the initial ESX install, when I set the network (console) config, should I enter IP addressing for the VLAN, example A:

Use example B (129.x.x.x) for the Service Console (management functions), and then after the system comes up add another vSwitch to use to connect to the SAN VLAN.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Use example B (129.x.x.x) for the Service Console (management functions), and then after the system comes up add another vSwitch to use to connect to the SAN VLAN.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
TxTechLaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, Option B was definitely the way to go!

0 Kudos