VMware Cloud Community
dlm1975
Contributor
Contributor

Increase Logical Drive Capacity in IBM DS Array using RDM and Windows VM

I have standalone ESX 3.5.0, 95350 host using IBM DS 4300 Array for storage. On it is a Windows VM using both vmfs and RDM drives. I'd like to increase the RDM LUN size. It is a dynamic disk in the Windows guest. Both Linux and Windows are supported OS for increasing logical drive capacity. Does this mean my setup is also supported? Anyone ever had to do this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dlm1975
Contributor
Contributor

Follow up - this is possible and worked as expected.

0 Kudos
namtrok
Contributor
Contributor

What were the steps you took?

I have already increased the Logical Drive in Storage Manager.

How do I get the VM's OS to recognize the increased size of the LUN? the RDM still claims it to be the old size.

Thank You for your help.

0 Kudos
dlm1975
Contributor
Contributor

After you increase the LUN size in Storage Manager, you need to detach and re-attach the LUN to the VM in order for it to reflect the new size in Vcenter.

You will need to shutdown the VM in order to do this.

Be sure to only REMOVE the Hard Drive from the virtual machine, and not delete the Hard Drive.

After it's removed, ADD it back. It will now show up as the correct size.

*Note, you will still need to expand the disk in the OS. If windows, you can use diskpart to extend the volume.

0 Kudos
namtrok
Contributor
Contributor

I tried this:

1. Power down the VM

2. Remove the Hard Disk, without deleteing it!

3. Added the Hard Disk, existing Disk, pointed to the disk.

4. Powered on the VM

Attempted to resize (dealing with linux & reiserfs, so using resize_reiserfs) but it does not recognize the new size.

What step did I do wrong?

0 Kudos
namtrok
Contributor
Contributor

HA!

got it...

after increasing the LUN in Storage Manager, I then needed to have ESX rescan the disk. (the follow the above instructions)

to rescan the disks... go to the ESX Server, then Configuration tab, choose Storage Adapters in the Hardware menu. There is a tiny link in the upper right hand corner for "Rescan..." click that.

Then follow above steps.

worked like a champ!

0 Kudos