VMware Cloud Community
NohaJasper
Contributor
Contributor

In process of uploading large file on host " I/O Error Occurred "

I'm publishing this question here after one week research how to fix this error. I tried everything which I found on vm-help and vmware community forums. Unfortunately can't find solution for this problem.

I have Win2003 server VMimage 10G, which I convert into virtual appliance. I removed all snapshots and made clean shoot down of image before converting. After converting I change initial configuration in configuration file in image folder to have possibility to work with this image on last VI client ( you have to change version in some line , I found it on VM help ) it was related to different compatibility error.

Virtual Appliance == 10 GBt, Converted with VMWare Workstation ( last release )

1) When I tried to work directly from VI Client , upload image through wizard , it starting uploading process but it taking forever ( I keep this process 24 hours , just to be sure that process hanged) .

2) I tried to upload directly from VMWare Workstation trough Import/Export wizard, result same. taking forever.

3) Then I tried upload directly from VI Client, from Summary Tab directly on host and then I got I/O Error.

I want mention that when file less then 1 GBt it uploading without problems, but larger then 1 GBt it giving I/O Error Occurred .

Based on recommendations from forums I disable USB support on host in BIOS. I re-import Image to Virtual Appliance version 1. But all this steps not helped.

If somebody had this resolved could you please help to me, or point me in right direction.

Host 32 bit,Motherboard = Asus P4P800, Processor = Intell P4 3GHz, Network Card = Intell Pro 1000, . ESX 3.5. Installation with IDE support. Onboard network and USB disabled in Bios.

Client 64 Bit, Windows Server 2008 64, Network Chip Broadcom 1Gbt ( integrated into Asus P5Pro motherboard. ) VI Client , last version.

Network 1Gbt + , firewall disabled everywhere.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NohaJasper
Contributor
Contributor

Here is some results and updates if somebody will meet same troubles.

1) Look on htttp://vm-help.com - really good website where you will find good information.

2) For upload images I enabled SSH on host and used FastSPC, but limitation for upload is 5.2 GBt. From My investigation I found that size of file which you can upload on host depend from your RAM size. It is PROBABLY becasue host can't write this file on HDD with same speed and " cashing" in RAM.

3) If you uploaded virtual HDD on host, you CAN NOT create VM and connect this HDD right away. You need to "transform" it. read vm-help.com/forum.

4) You can NOT run 64bit guest VM. on 32bit host. HV supporting processor required.

I/O Error is not resolved and nobody care...

0 Kudos
Gene_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same problem.

I have successfully download a vm guest folder using the VIC thru the summary DASD page onto an external USB disk drive. This folder came from an ESX server running ESX 3.5.

When I try and import this vm guest folder into an ESX server running vSphere 4 it starts uploading, creates the proper folder name and then stops with an "I/O error occurred" message.

Looking into the new folder shows that one small file did transfer. I can also individually transfer small files one at at time. However when I try and transfer a large file there is a long delay and then the "I/O error occurred" message is displayed.

0 Kudos