VMware Cloud Community
soda0091
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Importing a VM into ESX 3.5

I received a VM from one of my fellow IT and they would like me to import it into my ESX 3.5 environment. What is the best way to do this? I was going to copy the vm information to my SAN where my other vm's reside and then I was going to try and do an import from my VM console.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
arkturas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you dont have the .vmx config file and you only have the .vmdk files you can just create a new VM then point the virtual disks to the existing VMDK's.

remember to set the vdisks to buslogic if its a windows 2000 server or if its windows 2003 + set it to LSI Logic

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if you have already copied your vm file in a LUN, from VIC you can browse the datastore end select your .vmx file and then right click and "add to inventory".

Other way is use vmware converter.

Bye Alberto

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How was this vm created - ESX or ESCXi? If not you will have to convert it to the ESX/ESXi format using converter

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
soda0091
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That part i am not sure of. Is there a way to tell?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd only use Converter if necessary (example: the VM uses IDE disks).

With virtual SCSI disks it usually is faster (and with less trouble) to simply import the disks using vmkfstools.

0 Kudos
arkturas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you dont have the .vmx config file and you only have the .vmdk files you can just create a new VM then point the virtual disks to the existing VMDK's.

remember to set the vdisks to buslogic if its a windows 2000 server or if its windows 2003 + set it to LSI Logic

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Post the VMX file (if you have one).

0 Kudos