VMware Cloud Community
Krax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Import Virtual Machines

I was reinstalled my VMware ESX 3.5-update3. Previously i backed up all the virtual machines onto USB disk.

The question is.....what is the best way to import the virtual machines? On Vmware WS i can import vmx but on ESX , i must to recreate the VM: New Virtual Machine - Custom ....Use an Existing Virtual Disk and select VMDK.... but not vmx.

Is possible to import the Virtual machines like on VMware WS, importing the vmx?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you backed up the VMs, did you export them to the USB disk or did you just copy the files from the datastore?

It sounds like you just copied the files off, if you copy the files back into the datastore, and then once they have copied across you can right click on the vmx file and select Add to Inventory and if that is successful you will be able to boot up the VM in ESX

----- Mark Atherton

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you backed up the VMs, did you export them to the USB disk or did you just copy the files from the datastore?

It sounds like you just copied the files off, if you copy the files back into the datastore, and then once they have copied across you can right click on the vmx file and select Add to Inventory and if that is successful you will be able to boot up the VM in ESX

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
Krax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry madda, but....how can i right click on the vmx file and select Add to Inventory? From Virtual Center?

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes this is possible to do from the command line, using the vmkfstools command.

vmkfstools -i <source> <destination>

Please read on the below URL to find more about this.

Let meknow if you need any more information.

-Karunakar

Krax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry ....that's ok.... Inventory - Datastores - Browse DataStore....here is..... :smileyblush:

Thanks madda.

0 Kudos