VMware Cloud Community
76dragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ISCSI HBA Dual Port Question

Ive been using the software initiator for some time now in a test environment and ive just purchsed a ISCSI HBA card with Dual Ports, Sorry is this is a dumb question but im wondering if someone could tell me if the dual port card shows up under Network Adapters as two devices or if its just one and the Dual Port is means to provide a second path via another Switch e.g. Port1 goes to SwitchA and Port2 goes to SwitchB

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Dragon,

The card will be seen as two ports under VMware ESX. Have a look at the following thread, there is some relevent info in there for you.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/145928;jsessionid=B35DD3A3AB2CA5C97C5BC12E726593A4?tstart=14

best regards

Bernie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Dragon,

The card will be seen as two ports under VMware ESX. Have a look at the following thread, there is some relevent info in there for you.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/145928;jsessionid=B35DD3A3AB2CA5C97C5BC12E726593A4?tstart=14

best regards

Bernie

0 Kudos
76dragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply,

If im only going to have a single ISCSI san is there any point in having a dual port card, My main concern with ISCSI is redundancy, Can anyone tell me how the best way to go about having an ESX server connected to ISCSI storage with redundacy.

If the dual ports shw up as two initiators, then would i configure both to point to the same target, giving me two paths ?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You will only be able to configure one active path to each LUN, The dual port will give you redundancy and will failover in the event of a failure, prefered that each HBA port is connected to a seperate physical switch.

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As happyhammer stated, your connections will be active/passive, but to answer your question, yes, you have to configure both ports for redundancy, but only one will be active.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
76dragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Guys much appreciated.

0 Kudos