VMware Cloud Community
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

INf3 on Workstation6

I have the esx infrastructure 3 running in vm workstation 6.

I can log on with root and edit files etc.

The client was downloaded from the installation and installed on to a windows server running as a vm in esx.

All the hosts files on both systems have been edited. Fire wall on the esx server has been opened in both directions. The one thing that keeps failing is the logon from the client.

I've tried logging on as root root (and "[mailto:root@inf3.test.local]" and "[mailto:root@test.local] but get cannot log on because of bad username or password every time. Every thing seems fine apart from this

This is only a training PC I am setting up for VCP purposes

Any help on this problem would be appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
djflux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you login at the ESX console with the root username and password? If not, then it could be as simple as typing the incorrect password.

Make sure that you can login at the console with the root username and password.

0 Kudos
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

The physical consol presented when the install is complete was accessed using root and password. nano was used to open the fire wall. The VI client was accessed from the browser of the windows sever and installed. What doesn't happen is a logon to the esx server from the client using the root and password. Please see attached gif. I can assure you that the password is correct.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure that DNS is working correctly and /etc/hosts has the appropriate entries.

0 Kudos
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

Host files are used. ping works. I have the web connection. the /var/log/messages log shows the refusal so connection is being made, hence the report on the client bad name or password. The problem is secuity not connectivity. The firewall is fully open so no protocols/ports are being blocked

0 Kudos