VMware Cloud Community
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

IBM x346 Fresh 3.5U3 Issue

I'm having an issue in my test R/D lab with the latest 3.5u3 installation. I install everything like I would normally and have for 3.5u2 but once the installation is complete when it boots up the keyboard no longer works. Obviously I've checked the basic connections and the problem is on both of my x346 boxes so the common factor is with the U3 install.

Normally I get little red/pink warning messages on the screen but it never seems to hinder anything, and I know they are unsupported boxes but I get these errors listed below:

cpu0:1024) chipset: 604: Failed to collect ACPI interrupt routing information... trying MPS

cpu0:1024) PCI: 2390: failed for 000:02.0

cpu0:1024) PCI: 2390: failed for 000:04.0

cpu0:1024) PCI: 2390: failed for 000:05.0

cpu0:1024) PCI: 2390: failed for 000:06.0

I'm not expecting to get a detailed answer besides the one I would normally give out being that it is unsupported hardware (just to keep rparkers posts to a minimum Smiley Wink) Anyone else having small issues with the 3.5U3 fresh install? I'm trying to prepare to maybe upgrade our production boxes in but this issue isn't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I'm going to try and do an U2 fresh install and upgrade to U3 and see if that does anything but any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Where are you at with your firmware and BIOS revisions on that box? Might be worth getting to the latest version(s), if you aren't there already, and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Full_Halsey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had a similar issue. Fresh install of ESX 3.5u3 on an IBM 3850 M2 model 7233 would fail and kernel panic on boot. We worked with IBM for several days and had a PMR opened. The resolution is crazy. Our KVM has standard PS/2 connections. We use a USB adapter since the newer servers only take USB. This was the problem. As soon as we unplugged the USB adapter, it booted perfectly each time. IBM has had several reports of this. I can't say this is what is causing your issue but it sounds similar.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

On our production machines we have the PS/2 to USB adapters seeing that they stopped putting them on the servers, but these are straight PS/2 kvm to PS/2 plugs on the servers =/

• Kyle

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Where are you at with your firmware and BIOS revisions on that box? Might be worth getting to the latest version(s), if you aren't there already, and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

For the record you and I both knew that I was going to upgrade my BIOS before you posted that, but I did just upgrade the bios to the latest version and U3 works now. Anyways, thanks I guess, and as much as I don't want to, I'll give ya some points....

• Kyle

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sometimes you just need someone to nag you to get things done - glad I could help!

0 Kudos
SpaceWolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

saw same issue, after 3.5U3 installation & bios upgrade. Changed the bios setting for KBC (keyboard controller frequency) from 12 to 8 MHz, which seems to solve the problem. KVM & single keyboard do not longer hang.

Wolfgang

0 Kudos