VMware Cloud Community
JasonF88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IBM Blades & Network Load Balancing

I don't seem to be able to get my HS21 Blades running ESX3.5 to load balance over the two pNICs used for Virtual Machine traffic.

Fail over works fine but all network traffic is going out of one pNIC with the other is doing nothing!

Each of the two pNICs is "hard wired" to a different Nortel L2/L3 switch in the back of the Blade Centre (which limits Load Balacing options) so our configuration is:

Load Balance on Port ID

Beacon Probing is On

Notify Switch: On

Failback: Off

Both NICs are Active.

On the Nortel side the ports are set to:

VLAN Tagging: Enabled

PVID: Enabled

STP: Disabled

Any suggestions on getting both pNICs doing some work ??

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JasonF88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any ideas ?

Anyone ??

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert

When using PortID-based policy you won't see the traffic from a single VM balanced across both pnics. With this policy, whatever the first pnic the VM traffic hits it will bind to and always use that pnic until communication with that pnic ends (dropped connection, failure, etc). Then the VM will use the other pnic. As you have said PortID policy is really just round-robin.

When you have more than one VM, each VM will bind to either one of the pnics. VM1 to pnic1, VM2 to pnic2, VM3 to pnic1, etc. I don't think the logic is that exact, but you get the point. So in that regard you get some form of balance.

The kind of balance you're looking for will be via the IP-hash policy. HOWEVER, you might not be able to use this policy if your Nortels are connected to a higher level switch. IP-Hash requires an etherchannel which I don't believe you'll be able to enable if your Nortels connected to another switch. You should check with your network guys and test this before implementing in production!

I have HS20 blades with cisco switches in the chassis uplink'd to a Cisco 6513. I can only use trunk ports and PortID policy across the nics. Same problem.

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert

A couple docs that should help explain the different networking and balancing policies:

PortID

SrcMac

IP-Hash

VI3 Networking Scenarios --> http://download3.vmware.com/vmworld/2006/tac9689-b.pdf

VMware Virtual Networking Concepts --> http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

0 Kudos
JasonF88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fairly sure IP-Hash is not a option as the pNICs connect to different switches.

As you say I with PortID I would expect some VMs to use pNIC1 and some to use pNIC2 to get some split of traffic between the NICs but what I'm seeing on a Host woth 15 VMs is all network traffic going through one pNIC and no traffic at all on the 2nd pNIC

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert

Have you verified the config on the nortels as well as the uplink switches? Also, verify that that 2nd nic isn't in standby mode. Does this happen on your other esx hosts?

0 Kudos
JasonF88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe the config is correct on the swtiches (blade centre and upstream), they certainly work in failover (ie if I disable NIC1 traffic all switches to NIC2)

both NICs are set to active and same happens on all ESX hosts (4 HS21 Blades)

Thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert

Are all 4 hosts currently in production? If you have a test server on that same chassis try changing the host policy to source-mac. Also, whats the load-balance policy set on those nortel switches in the chassis?

0 Kudos
JasonF88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seems to be no difference by switching NLB policy to MAC address.

Nortel Switch policy is scr and dst MAC, but not sure this come into effect as the Notels are not Load Balancing (they can't as

each pNIC goes to a different Switch)

As I understand and NLB need to be done on the vSwtich

Thanks

0 Kudos