VMware Cloud Community
termita_kaesar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I need to read vmdk with snaphost from another one host

I make a SnapShot in a VirtualMachine than is poweron in a ESX1.

I can read the vmdk file in ESX1, but How can I read this file in other ESX?

If I try make this operation with vcbMounter, I can read this file from ESX2, but I need read this file without vcbMounter.

Cesar Garcia Descom, SL
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I have a hard time understanding your question. but if i'm correct you installed a backup agent into your ESX host and want to backup vm's which can reside on any of the ESX hosts. I would suggest using VCB for this, you never know where the VM will be with DRS. You can indeed snapshot a VM and run a backup of the VMDK. But to snapshot the VM you need to know where it's at. And it will be tough to script it if the VM is on the other host.

VCB is the way to go.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A snapshot exists with the vm, so only one host can read it at any one time. It is not a clone. If you want to start a 2nd vm, then you will have to clone the vm. Is that what you are trying to do?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
termita_kaesar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have one sytem BackUp with one agent install in a one host esx. The server backup, don´t known where is poweron the Virtual Machine, in this case I want make backup in one only esx.

I think, that this operaion is possible, becaouse when I do make vcbMounter for one VM, poweron in other host, I cam read the vmdk files.

Thanks

Cesar Garcia Descom, SL
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I have a hard time understanding your question. but if i'm correct you installed a backup agent into your ESX host and want to backup vm's which can reside on any of the ESX hosts. I would suggest using VCB for this, you never know where the VM will be with DRS. You can indeed snapshot a VM and run a backup of the VMDK. But to snapshot the VM you need to know where it's at. And it will be tough to script it if the VM is on the other host.

VCB is the way to go.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos