VMware Cloud Community
AmitPawar
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperthreading inactive in VC 2.5

Hi,

I have HP Proliant 385 dual core ESX 3.5 servers, which i have enable HT from Bios , but i can't enable this in VC because it shows inactive in VC.

Could you tell me how to enable this in VC?

Thanks,

Amit

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is no hyperthreading in Dual core processors. They replaced the logical core with a physical core...

You will only ever get 2 CPU's out of a single Dual core physical socket.

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

Did you say HP Proliant 385 ? don't they come with the AMD CPU?

If I am correct the HT in the BIOS stands for Hyper Transport not Hyper Threading. Check wikipedia if you want more information on Hyper Transport.

-Surya

0 Kudos
AmitPawar
Contributor
Contributor

If there is no hyperthreading in dual core, than where does it exists,

Also, what does "You will only ever get 2 CPU's out of a single Dual core physical socket" this exactly mean, could you pls explain me bit more.

Amit

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

duplicate post... nevermind.

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

That is not ture. There are some CPUs, which are dual core and Hyper Threading enabled.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20051010comp.htm

-Surya

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

With a single CPU, with hyperthreading you would see 2 logical CPU's (really 1 physical and one virtual). With Dual core you have 1 CPU, but 2 physical CPU's in the same socket...

If it is an AMD CPU there never was hyperthreading (hyperthreading was Intel technology). It could be a dual core AMD chip but the same as above hold true...you will see 2 CPU's in the operating system with 1 physicla socket.

0 Kudos
AmitPawar
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Surya you are right this is AMD, but dual Core , the HT what you are talking about is for I/O Bandwidth.

Amit

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In 2005 that was correct..the very first P4 dual core's were hyperthreaded..

then they realized the hyperthreading didn't do anything except add code and complexity when they could just add more cores..

nothing recent i've dealt with in 2 years has had hyperthreading on it.

0 Kudos
AmitPawar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Rumple , got it ....B-)

Thanks All for your help..

Amit

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

Couldn't agree more with you on HT with Intel CPU is of no good, atleast with Server computing.

-Surya

0 Kudos