VMware Cloud Community
s0n_k
Contributor
Contributor

How to verify NIC

I have 2 Dell PowerEdge servers with NetXtreme II NIC cards. I've successfully installed ESX 3 on both servers. I've created a vSwitch to help route the Service Console and VM traffic into two routes. One of my NIC's (vSwitch1) has a red x by it and shows a state of disconnected. I've rebooted the server, tried to Auto Negotiate the connection again, switched cables, hub ports, etc... and nothing works. How can I verify that I have a bad NIC rather than a misconfiguration? I've set both servers up the exact same way...

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
emmar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you could install Dell OpenManage onto the box, then you'd see any hardware issues.

http://www.vmware.com/support/esx25/doc/sys_mgmt_links.html

0 Kudos
GavinJ
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you checked whether you are getting a connection light on the physical switch/router port?

0 Kudos
s0n_k
Contributor
Contributor

I have. I've switched ports, cables, etc... Before I switched cables it seemed that the light on the back of the server was orange instead of green. It is green now..

0 Kudos
GavinJ
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I guess a fairly rudimentary test, if you haven't already, might be to hook one of your known working NIC's into the same patch lead and physical switch port - if it connects then at least you can discount anything outside of the NIC or NIC config.

If you run a dmesg from the Service Console, does the NIC appear?

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

dmesg or better yet boot.log should show the NIC as being present and perhaps the speed it was using during the boot procedure. However, unless this NIC is assigned to the SC there is no SC tool that can review it. Run the following:

esxcfg-nics -l

And post the output. This will help debug the problem. You will see a vmnic that is not connected. I would check the connection settings on the switch and the NIC port. I would then look up the vmnic in /var/log/vmkernel for any specific errors about the NIC.

If the Switch Port, and cable check out then you most likely have a faulty NIC.

Best regards,

Edward

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
klauss_21
Contributor
Contributor

Any follow up on this, please. I have tried four different NICs with no success. I am using vmware 3.5 .

In my case, it seems like the card is working.

1... Switch connection is green

2... esxcfg-nics -l shows the card, but it shows as Down and the speed 0Mbps.

Any help would be appreciated. I am stuck.

Klauss

0 Kudos
nabsltd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Boot the system with any one of the Linux "live CDs". Any recent ones should have drivers for the NIC, and be able to detect it.

If you can't get it to work, then it's pretty likely you have hardware problems (motherboard compatability, switch problems, etc.), while a working NIC would probably mean something about the ESX software is the problem.

0 Kudos