VMware Cloud Community
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

How to use a datacenter?

Hi

In VC you can create datacenters, but I can't exactly find WHY you would want to split your environment into two or more datacenters and not just clusters. What are the benefits of creating multiple datacenters?

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZMkenzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Datacenter are useful when you want to FORCE separation between working areas. For example here we have 3 main datacenters:

\- production

\- testing

\- disaster recovery

This is useful expecially when you have totally separated farms, with different storage luns, different networks and different users accessing them through the virtual infrastructure client.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wcrahen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I believe the concept is that you might want to manage 2 physical locations with one VC, you can create each as it's own datacenter for a logical separation.

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am using it in an environment where one set of servers is running ESX 2.5 and the other VI3 AND the servers in one 'datacenter' are not compatible for live VMotion with the other.

Prevents you from being able to even select the other set of servers in a Migrate. I know that VC will check for VMotion compatibility, but its also to distinguish the ESX version in my case.

0 Kudos
vmmeup
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can accomplish the same thing with clusters in your situation. The datacenter object is really just for distinguishing different data centers, or permissions, but again if you have one datacenter you can achieve all the same with just having separate clusters.

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I agree with vmmeup, that in the previous posts, there is no hard reason to use a datacenter above a cluster. All these things I could also do using clusters. In fact, using a datacenter would make it even harder to manage two locations because of the restrictions you put on your self in this way.

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
iguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are planning on using it to seperate hosts by SAN Frame. Since you can't effectively VMotion between SAN Frames. Then inside of that we can break down by clusters defining what each host group's purpose is (Production, Test, Stage, Dedicated to a given Application, etc).

As a result we also get some level of separation since we do not typically attach a given Host to multiple Frames. Granted this may change in the near future but it is something that gives us a big bonus in organization.

ZMkenzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Datacenter are useful when you want to FORCE separation between working areas. For example here we have 3 main datacenters:

\- production

\- testing

\- disaster recovery

This is useful expecially when you have totally separated farms, with different storage luns, different networks and different users accessing them through the virtual infrastructure client.

0 Kudos