VMware Cloud Community
ronaldoxxx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to upload file to ESX hosts

Hi all,

2 quick questions:

1. i want to upload some ISO image file to ESX host local storage or SAN share storage.

How to do that? i tried to use tools (SCP), but my account is not enough permission for create file. any other means?

2. I got a CD and need to install it from VM, how to make my VM reach this CD?

sorry, i am rookie..please help. thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
K-MaC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have access to Virtual Center or Client? If you do have access then open either program and select your machine then go to Summary - Edit Settings - CD/DVD Drive and select host device. Please also put a check in the 'Connect at power on' box, then click ok. Ensure your VM is powered down before doing the preceeding steps. After completing these steps restart your VM and it should boot with access to the hosts Cdrom.

Cheers

Kevin

Hope this helps.

Cheers Kevin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
K-MaC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have access to Virtual Center or Client? If you do have access then open either program and select your machine then go to Summary - Edit Settings - CD/DVD Drive and select host device. Please also put a check in the 'Connect at power on' box, then click ok. Ensure your VM is powered down before doing the preceeding steps. After completing these steps restart your VM and it should boot with access to the hosts Cdrom.

Cheers

Kevin

Hope this helps.

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if you are using virtual center 2.5, you can connect the iso file through the console of the VM for installaton. If you want to transfer through winscp, with normal user id, you can normally transfer to your home folder and you require to move the file from your home folder to the location you want through SSH with su - root log in. the fastest way but insecure method is permitrootlogon on the sshd_config file, this will allow the root log in through SSH and Winscp

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com