VMware Cloud Community
lonecedar959
Contributor
Contributor

How to test APC Powerchute Network Shutdown for functionality

Hello

I need to know how to test PCNS 2.2.1 for VMware and Windows to ensure it will work when we have a power outage. I have tried the option "Simulate Power Failure" from the Web management card but that does not seem to send the shutdown signal to the servers.

Also - will PCNS for VMware shutdown all guest VM's on the host or do I need to install the windows version of the software to each VM?

Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Han
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've installed PCNS on all guests. Adjusted the shutdown moment so that first all guests are shutdown and than the ESX server.

I've tested this by simply pulling the plug. Works perfectly.

Han.

0 Kudos
vhb-technician
Contributor
Contributor

can also be done by not installing the PCNS Software on the guests. Simply go to the VI-GUI Host Configuration tab and there configure the "Virtual Machine startup/shutdown" sequence. Test was also done by pulling the plug and then the "server shutdown" command of the APC to the ESX-host let the host shutdown all guest gracefully and then shutdown itself.

0 Kudos
lonecedar959
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone - the answers you supplied would have worked but I was given another way by APC to just test functionality. We set the system to shut down if connectivity to the management card was lost. Once we set the times on the VM's and the hosts we tested it after hours by pulling the network cable - and it worked perfectly.

Just wanted to let you know how I did it - thanks for your help.

-Patrick

0 Kudos