VMware Cloud Community
coafark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to print from the ESX 3 host?

I"m new to Linux/ESX, so maybe I'm going by this all wrong so toss some suggestions if you can Smiley Happy

I'm building out some ESX servers 3.0.2 with VI 2.0.2 to spread through out the State. I already set up e-mail on them so that they email me when they reboot, backup etc. I would like to send some things to an HP printer (LaserJet 4050TN). I can't find any documentation on how to do this from the HOST/bash via an *.SH script. One thing would be the vmksummary.html file that I found on the ESX host (anything else cool out there you guys can think of)??? Having this automatically print out monthly would be nice.

If I can't print, I can always send them as attachments via e-mail, but would rather print them and other things out.

The printers we have all have built in Jet Direct cards (we print via IP here). If I have to, I can share the printer from an XP box I leave logged on 24/7.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TWashington
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also trying to do this and have not had any luck in finding any information on it. I was going to post something here and seen your request. Hopefully someone will be able to help here.

0 Kudos
coafark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guess not.

Have you figured out a way to do this yet?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If your Jet Direct support SNMP printing you could use that, or you could download and install RHEL3 CUPS (.rpm) on your ESX service console, although really I would have to advise against this for security reasons.

oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

The required print spooler and supporting files are not part of ESX...

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Why would you want to do this, of you require regular print outs of log files, why not have the relavant files SCP'd to a central site via a bash script. and use the proper tool to print them out. this would reduce the requirement to add additional services on your ESX servers

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
coafark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tom my bad.  I just found this post that I had worked up an answer from from something you suggested so I necro'd it so I could give you credit for helping me.

I took your idea of bashing (scp) the files from my server and e-mailed them instead.  This way, I have a good backup (don't we all use email as a file system to back things up in haha) and easily can print them.

I've since moved from ESX 3 to ESX 4.1 and still do this.  Especially monthly for the vmksummary.html file and a Health Check script that I found in these forums.

0 Kudos