VMware Cloud Community
chadd39
Contributor
Contributor

How to place a floppy image on ESX server

I am a complete newbie. I have ESX 3 installed and have created a couple of Windows 2000 server virtual machines on it.

I am now trying to create a XP VM. I am getting the no disk found error when trying to install XP. Looking through the threads, I saw that that is because XP does not have the driver for LSI. I saw where I needed to download the flp for LSI adapter. I did that and understand that I need to map to that flp image for the newly created XP VM.

My question is, how do I place that flp on the ESX server. Not being a Linux guy, can someone explain the commands I need to use or can it be done somewhere through the GUI ??

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ICT-Freak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Use WinSCP! You can download it here: http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

0 Kudos
chadd39
Contributor
Contributor

What would be the username and password to use? I tried root and my root password and I get an access denied.

I am putting in the IP address of the GSX server, using the default port of 22. Do i need to fill in any remote directory or anything??

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

You can't (default setting) remote login to ESX using root.

You either need another user or modify the default setting to allow SSH logins by root (not recommended)

0 Kudos
chadd39
Contributor
Contributor

I tried using user adm. I can connect with that but am unable to copy the flp file to the floppies folder. I get a permission denied. How do I change permissions on that folder??

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

either copy it to the user folder, then move it to the desired destination from the console (or an ssh session)

or modify the permissions on the folder you want to copy it to using the chmod command

0 Kudos