VMware Cloud Community
Olivier_Barbier
Contributor
Contributor

How to modify cluster EVC mode while the vcenter is a VM ?

Hello,

Here is a brainstorming.....

I have a ESX 3.5 production cluster composed of 2 servers named VMW13 and VMW14. The virtual center 2.5 is a VM running on this cluster, its name is VMW15.

I also have a third ESX 3.5 dedicated to test , on a seperate cluster, but inside the same datacenter and so managed by the same virtual center. Server name is VMW12.

I have to change the production cluster EVC mode to enable EVC for intel host. To apply this modification, all VM on both nodes in the cluster must be powered off.

As the vcenter is a VM inside this cluster I have to power it off. But if I power it off, I cannot change the cluster setting !

My opinion is that I have to put this VM on the VMW12 outside the production cluster, but to do this I must power off the VM, move the files, and restart it. But when it will restart, I think the vcenter will be desynchronized.

I'm lost.....

Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks

Olivier

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

My opinion is that I have to put this VM on the VMW12 outside the production cluster, but to do this I must power off the VM, move the files, and restart it. But when it will restart, I think the vcenter will be desynchronized.

nope, if it points to the same DB when it comes online, everything will be good.

0 Kudos