VMware Cloud Community
amc1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to migrate a virtual VC-Server to another ESX-Host with different CPU-ID

Hello,

while updating my VI 3.5 hardware from old AMD Single Core to AMD Quad-Core a problem ocurred: the new CPU´s have of course a different CPU-ID, so it is not possible to make a live migration from my virtual VC-Server from the old machine to the new one.

A cold migration is of course not possible too, because after shutdown of the vc-server I´ve no connection via VC-management-Console ... of course Smiley Wink

How Do I get my virtual VC-Server running on the new hardware, I suppose there must be a solution and I hope, I´m not the only one, who runs a virtual VC-Server and has to change the hardware Smiley Wink

I am looking forward for any possible solution, thank you very much.

Heinz Kabisch

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the VCVM is on shared storage just deregister the VM from the old host and register it on the new host by connecting the VI client to each host. TO register browse the datastore and right click on the .vmx file and click register

If not on shared storage (but I hope it is) You can copy the VM files (*.vmdk and .VMX file) from one host to another using SCP. Then connect to the new host using the VI client and register the VC VM

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the VCVM is on shared storage just deregister the VM from the old host and register it on the new host by connecting the VI client to each host. TO register browse the datastore and right click on the .vmx file and click register

If not on shared storage (but I hope it is) You can copy the VM files (*.vmdk and .VMX file) from one host to another using SCP. Then connect to the new host using the VI client and register the VC VM

0 Kudos
amc1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello JoJoGabor,

thanks a lot. I´ve just tested it and it worked; After one has gone through the tasks you have described, VC plots (in my own words): "the machine has been copied, do you want to create a new ID, or keep the old one? What do you prefer to do?"

Then in our German-Version, I have to switch to the left side bar, do a right-click on the VM and select from the menu "Frage beantworten". I suppose in the not localized version of VC, this selection is available too and must be called "Answer Question".

There you can select "keep or create ID" and then everyting in our VI3.5 is fine!

Thank you very much,

Heinz Kabisch

0 Kudos