VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to kill a stuck VM in ESX 3.5?

We use vRanger to perform weekly BUPs of our VMs.

This week vRanger began its BUP of one of the VMs and never completed. Now the VM is hung. I cannot power it down with any of the GUI power-down operations.

How can I force this VM to shutdown? Is there a way to kill the world ID?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ps -auxwww | grep -i to kill it..

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

try stopping it via the command line:

vmware-cmd -l = list all the vm's running, copy and paste the full path to the below command.

vmware-cmd <config> stop trysoft

if trysoft doesn't work you could always kill the process ->

ps -ef | more

find the proces related to the world

kill it.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ps -auxwww | grep -i to kill it..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I get this when issuing the stop command.

VMControl error -999: Unknown error: SoapError: ServerFaultCode(1604) : (Operation failed since another task is in progress.)

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

and killing it like we described above?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ohh... BTW:

When using vm-support -X to define output dir if needed)

The script will run for a few minutes..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vm-support -X worked.

For some strange reason it disconnected my host from VC, but it worked. I am rebooting the VC server to see if it can manage the host again.

Thanks,

-MattG

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So it appears that the VC Agent on my host is in a confused state now.

Can I just restart the VC agent on the host? If so, how?

Thanks,

-MattG

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

service mgmt-vmware restart

/Rubeck

MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That did it.

Thanks,

-MattG

0 Kudos
RAM9999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

>>For some strange reason it disconnected my host from VC, but it worked. I am rebooting the VC server to see if it can manage the host again.

Now that's scary. I am running into this exact same problem but after reading what happened to Matt. I will have to look for another solution because I can not have my host disconnected. That I can not afford.

I'll probably have to migrate all the VM's to another host and then power cycle this host that has this VM stuck on it.

0 Kudos
vmware_admins2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ive killed VMS by telling the machine to shutdown through the console, and by killing the process manually (two different issues). I havent had any issues with the ESX host disconnecting from the VC.

Is there any specific reason you cant have your ESX host enter a "disconnected" state with your VC?

0 Kudos
jheinzle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The disconnect from VC won't hurt you. All the VMs will still run until you get the ESX host connected again.

0 Kudos