VMware Cloud Community
vmkillies
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to increase CPU cores on a XP VM

Hello Everyone,

Does any one know how can we increase the numbers of CPU core on a XP VM.

I have a requirement which needs a powerful XP machine which should be able to use maximum available resource from the underlying hardware.

The problem in VM enviorment is that we cannot use the cores as we can in physical machine. So the limitation for a workstation image is set to 2 CPU's.

Let me know if some one has tried this kind of setting for a XP 64 bit VM image.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thanks for posting my link and hope it helps you out!

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sketchy00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Easy peasy...

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/06/04/per-processor-licenses-for-your-application/comment-page-1/#...

I've done this on XP64 VM's under ESX 3.5 and 4.0 without issue.

geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, this one worked for me too.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thanks for posting my link and hope it helps you out!

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
vmkillies
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks ...this works !!

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I went to that link but i still dont understand what needs to be done?

I am currently running 4.1 vcenter and esxi 4.1 but it still shows only 2vcpu, can you please provide a little more information on how to increase to 4?

Thank you,

Express

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I went to that link but i still dont understand what needs to be done?

I am currently running 4.1 vcenter and esxi 4.1 but it still shows only 2vcpu, can you please provide a little more information on how to increase to 4?

I believe that you cannot make a virtual machine with more vCPUs than you have physical cores. So if your host has a single dual core CPU, then you'll be limited to 1 or 2 on the CPU settings. And realize that what the article is talking about is increasing the amount of cores per vCPU, not the number of vCPUs. So I believe that even if you follow the instructions an are able to increase the number of cores, your list in the CPU settings would still be the same.

Are you also running Windows XP also? XP-Pro is limited to 2 CPUs. (XP Home is limited to 1.) Each CPU can have multiple cores, but still limited to two CPU sockets. (i.e.: a non-virtual Windows XP-Pro on a dual quad core motherboard would see all 8 cores.) So if you are running XP, then more vCPUs wouldn't matter anyway.

BTW, you're responding to an old post. And you're responding to the Virtual Infrastructure (ESX3) forum. The vSphere (ESX4) forum is here and the vCenter forum is here.

0 Kudos