VMware Cloud Community
FooJH
Contributor
Contributor

How to get update manager for esx3.5?

Guys,

I read that some driver cds (Dell) need to be updated into esx via an Update Manager. I read what documentation I can find on getting this software, and it seems that Update Manager is only available for VirtualCenter.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Update Manager requires VC

What Dell driver CDs are you trying to update?

If you upload the Dell CDs ISO to a datastore and then mount the CD onto the VM to update the Dell drivers in a VM

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

As madda said Update manager comes with Virtual Centre however you need to enable to plug in VC too once installed.

Carl

0 Kudos
FooJH
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. The problem is not with the VM, but rather with the ESX. For some reason (prob a question of support) while I can use my Dell R200 CDROM drive to install the ESX, it is not available as a virtual resource. I am hoping that if I can install this driver:

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/drivercd/esx35-sata-cdrom-1.0.0.html

I can somehow resolve the issue. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I assume this is an existing ESX environment, therefore you need to follow part B (copied below). This involves using either the console or a SSH session on the machine so that you can install the updates. Instead of using the CD, you could always transfer the contents temporarily to the ESX server using SCP and then following the rest of the guide to install the update.

Power on the ESX server and logon to the ESX Server with administrator capability.

Access the DriverCD using the server's DRAC interface or by using a USB CD-ROM drive.

Mount the driver CD.

Change directory to the VMupdates/RPMS/ directory on the driver CD.

Run the esxupdate command by typing esxupdate update

The driver update will cause a server reboot. Remove the Driver CD from the CD-ROM before the system reboots.

After the system reboots, login to the ESX Server and verify that the driver has been installed successfully:

Run the esxupdate query command and observe that "SATA CD-ROM enablement" is mentioned in the resulting message

If your ESX Server was initially installed using the DRAC (Dell Remote Access Controller) or a USB CD-ROM, the SATA CD/DVD device may be enumerated as /dev/cdrom1 or /dev/cdrom2 instead of /dev/cdrom.

----- Mark Atherton
FooJH
Contributor
Contributor

I've been trying to figure out how to get to the service console the documentation was talking about. Then I realised that (at least) the) free version of ESXi does not offer a service console. Conclusion: nothing can be done about my problem until hopefully the new release deals with it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes ESXi does not have a SC so you won't be able to apply this patch

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos