PTEastvale
Contributor
Contributor

How to force VM to only start in one physical host server?

I have a cluster of 5 VMware 3.5 servers (Vmotion/DRS/HA are all enabled). DRS is set to Partially automated in the cluster.

Out of the 5 Vmware servers, I want to use 2 Vmware host servers to support 6 heavily used VM servers only (3 VM on each host). How do i prevent these machines from moving to the other 3 servers? Also, how do i prevent other VM machines from coming into these 2 VMWare servers?

In the DRS setting, there is a setting where i can keep these 6 machines together so they all run on one VMware host server. But what do i need to do so they can group together on "two" Vmware host servers?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There currently is no way to accomplish this.

Sorry for the bad news.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

This is precisely the reason you should keep a balanced cluster. ALL the hosts should be exactly alike, so you don't have this issue.

0 Kudos
PTEastvale
Contributor
Contributor

Right now. I can manually Vmotion these machines to the proper host(s) and there would be no problem. However, if a host were to be rebooted, then these machines will be moved automatically to other hosts to rebalance themselves. This requires more work for me as i have to move them back to the right hosts manually again.

I was hoping for an automated way to force a selected group of VMs to only perform DRS within a selected group of hosts in a cluster.

0 Kudos