VMware Cloud Community
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to disable automatic reboot after esx crash ?

Hi all,

I've got an ESX 3.0.1 which usely crash. When it done PSOD, the server reboot and I lost some Logs.

I need to disable the automatic reboot after PSOD, how can I do this ?

Thanks,

Olivier

Olivier ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think it's your RSA/DRAC/ILO or BIOS that reboots your server in case of Non-Maskable Interrupts, no ?

0 Kudos
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know. ILO is not configured, so I don't think the reboot come from it. BIOS, I will check.

I thought it was an ESX parameter because the support ask me this :

"

Can you also disable the automatic reboot feature on the ESX Server for

testing purposes.

When the ESX Server reboots most of the logs are deleted making it

imposssible to troubleshoot.

"

When you say "Non-Maskable Interrupts", is it a BIOS option ?

Olivier ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Paul_Buckle
Expert
Expert

You mention ILO, so the assumption is that you have an HP server - if this is not the case, perhaps you could advise the precise make and model.

HP servers have a feature called ASR (Automatic Server Recovery) which will reset the server, after a specified timeout, if a complete failure of the OS is detected, such as a PSOD. I seem to recall that it is enabled by default and set to 10 minutes.

Just enter the RBSU (ROM-based Setup Utility) and disable it.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I mentioned ILO, but it is a mistake. I'm working with SUN V40. Sorry Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Paul_Buckle
Expert
Expert

In that case, I am probably unable to assist any further, except to suggest that there is a possibly a similar feature within the Sun bootprom.

0 Kudos
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, no worries.

I'm going to call SUN to have information.

thank you very much.

0 Kudos
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

-

0 Kudos