VMware Cloud Community
ColBaby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to determine QLogic HBA Bios/Firmware Version on ESX 3?

Does anyone know how I can determine the Bios and Firmware version of Qlogic HBA's on ESX 3 servers?

On Windows I use the SANSurfer utility. But I'm reluctant to install SANSurfer on my ESX 3 hosts.

Is SANSurfer my only option are is there another way?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Mc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Actually the sad truth is for Qlogic you cannot tell the HBA bios version without rebooting and taking notice as the HBAs post.

An unsupported and risky method is to install SANsurferCLI in the service console and view the information with it. I have not seen issues viewing the info but have seen PSOD if updating with this utility.

I have been complaining to Qlogic for 3-4 years about this. They keep telling me they're going to do something about it. :smileyangry:

Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jonathanp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

for a qlogic 23XX or it would be a path like this from the Service console

cat /proc/scsi/qla2300/1 |grep Firmware

don't forget the F in upper case

1 for the firs 2 for the second adapter

Regards

ColBaby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that.

That tells me firmware and driver versions - part of what I wanted to know.

I'm still looking for a way to determine the BIOS version...

0 Kudos
Steve_Mc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Actually the sad truth is for Qlogic you cannot tell the HBA bios version without rebooting and taking notice as the HBAs post.

An unsupported and risky method is to install SANsurferCLI in the service console and view the information with it. I have not seen issues viewing the info but have seen PSOD if updating with this utility.

I have been complaining to Qlogic for 3-4 years about this. They keep telling me they're going to do something about it. :smileyangry:

Steve

0 Kudos
ColBaby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Steve. That answers my question.

Colin

0 Kudos