VMware Cloud Community
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to create Virtual Machine on NFS volume?

Hi i am running ESX 3.0, for testing for vmotion i made my windows xp desktop as a NAS device by using NFS client. I mounted one of my drive and presented it throuhg VI client.

How can i create Virtual Machine on it, because when i try it gives me an error message, "UNABLE TO ACCESS FILE"

Please tell me are there any special settins required.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm not quite sure how you've set up your XP machine, buy I'm not sure an NFS client will help. - You need to serve NFS, so it can be connected to by your ESX host.

A common way to do this is to use a Windows 2003 server with Services for UNIX.

Details can be found here .

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm not quite sure how you've set up your XP machine, buy I'm not sure an NFS client will help. - You need to serve NFS, so it can be connected to by your ESX host.

A common way to do this is to use a Windows 2003 server with Services for UNIX.

Details can be found here .

0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi I have open the FTP port on ESX server, through VI client configuration tab. But i am not able to ftp the esx server. Do i need to install any ftp service, if so then how?

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you want to copy files to your ESX host, I would suggest using scp.

A popular scp client for ESX is FastSCP from Veeam (which is free)

0 Kudos
TKM01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I am getting a windows blue screen after setting up follow the steps.

1. zfs create -o sharenfs=anon=0 nfspool/nfs1

2. zfs set mountpoint=/nfs1 nfspool/nfs1

I have presented the NFS device to ESX server 3.5. Everything was working. Started to create a Windows 2003 server on that NFS device. Windows copied all the files but now when it start install it shows a blue screen.

I have attached the screen shot.

Thanks.

0 Kudos