VMware Cloud Community
Aegis
Contributor
Contributor

How to change the iSCSI Software Alias on ESX 3.5

Hi All,

I am currently attempting to connect to an EMC Celerra via iSCSI from my ESX host. Id like to know if it is possible to change the iSCSI alias name for the software initiator. The name has periods (.) in, which the Celerra will not accept. It is possible to change the initiator, but not the alias (see attached).

I have enabled iSCSI, all networking is done and i've allowed the software initiator through the ESX firewall, so no problems there.

Alternatively, if anyone has any experience configuring with a Celerra and has any advice that would be good!

Cheers,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Maybe this can help you?

1. Log into VirtualCenter.

2. Choose the ESX host.

3. Click the Configuration tab and click Storage Adaptors.

4. Select vmhba32 and click Properties.

5. In the iSCSI properties you see the iSCSI alias. Check the length of the name. If its 31 characters or more, change the name to be less than or equal to 31 characters.

Make sure you make the corresponding change on the iSCSI target array too.

You can check the iSCSI Alias name from the service console by running the vmkiscsi-tool -k -l vmhba32 command. You can then change this name from VirtualCenter

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
Aegis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks for your prompt reply. I've followed the steps, but i am only provided with the option of changing the iSCSI Qualified Name, but not the Alias. It is the Alias which is causing me problems? This is shown in my attachment.

The Alias is 37 characters, not sure if this is a problem? The Qualified name is obviously more.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Oh, sorry I read it wrong!

So you can try to disable and after that renable the iscsi initiator and try out to change the alias!!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
Aegis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I've managed to solve my own problem! The alias on the esx server doesnt need to be the same as the alias on the celerra, so its working happily now!

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Good job!

You're welcome!!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos