VMware Cloud Community
michel_hesse
Contributor
Contributor

How to change the Blocksize on an existing vmfs3 Partition ?

Hello,

I have setup a ESX Server myself and found out that the Blocksize of my Datastorage a vmfs3 partition isn't correct.

I set it up with 1M by default, but I need to switch it to 4M because I have large virtual maschines to import.

If I try this --> vmkfstools -C vmfs3 --blocksize 4M --setfsname Storage /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba1:0:0:0

Im getting an error, because the partitino already exists, I think.

How can I delete the old 1M Blocksize partition and create a new 4M Blocksize partition ?

Thank you in Advance

Michél

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Michél, you'll need to use fdisk to delete the partition first and you should make sure it is empty of any files or folders first. You can run fdisk -l to get a list of disks and then fdisk /dev/sda (assuming sda is the drive you need to delete the VMFS from). Then you can press p to get a partition table, d to delete and you'll be prompted for a partition number and then w to write the changes. You should then be able to create the VMFS with vmkfstools. You could also do the delete/ create with the VI client.

0 Kudos
michel_hesse
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much you helped me a lot.

I tried the fdisk solution but I didn't got it managed, but I didn't know I can do it also from the VI Client !

Thank you everything is working now.

Michél

0 Kudos