VMware Cloud Community
letoatrads
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to add RDM to multiple VM's

Ok guys, having a brain fart here and can't find the docs on how to do this.

I've created an RDM on VM1 for a 150GB LUN. I need to add this RDM to VM2 so they both can access this.

I've tried just adding a second disk to VM2 and pointing to the RDM file on the datastore and I get an error. What critical step/ path am I missing.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey,

Unless you are using clustering software I would connect multiple virtual machines to the same RDM.

To do what you are asking you might be able to use something like a windows or nfs share?

You could also look into a replication tool to keep your web root directories in sync. This may be a better approach as relying on one share\drive for your files creates a single point of failure.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

You are trying to have two virtual machines access the same disk at the same time? Is this for cluster?

letoatrads
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Somewhat of a 'poor' man cluster.

I have 3 web servers that will be separate VM's on separate ESX hosts.

I want to have them all access the same data space to share out their web files, i.e. a common /www root for them.

Is this possible with RDM? If not, what do you think is the best method for that?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
jdvcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You should not have multiple systems (VMs or physical) access the same volume without a clustered application/operating system in place. You can corrupt your volume.

VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey,

Unless you are using clustering software I would connect multiple virtual machines to the same RDM.

To do what you are asking you might be able to use something like a windows or nfs share?

You could also look into a replication tool to keep your web root directories in sync. This may be a better approach as relying on one share\drive for your files creates a single point of failure.

0 Kudos
letoatrads
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That was my sneaking suspicion - that I would have to NFS share the data, or do an rsynch. Alrighy, thanks everyone for the input.

0 Kudos