VMware Cloud Community
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do you update the firmware on an ESX host?

All of our hosts are IBM x3950 servers. In order to upgrade the firmware I have the option of booting from a CD or a lot of the times the update has to be applied from within a Windows or Linux(Redhat/Suse) OS.

Updating via a bootable CD is great, no problems. The problem I have is with IBM's firmware that requires the Windows or Linux OS to install. How am I supposed to do this with ESX installed? It is not Windows and it is not Linux.

Sadly, my current solution has been to wipe out ESX and install Windows on the server, do the upgrades, and then install ESX again.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jeremypage
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've always just booted from the UpdateXpress CD, what are you updating that requires an OS loaded on the server?

0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The x3950 is not supported by UpdateXpress yet. All it will do is tell me what is behind on updates and this is documented by IBM. Wish they'd just fix it to be honest Smiley Happy

I'm trying to update my onboard NIC firmware because one port is only linking at 100 Full no matter what switch port or ethernet cable I use. I always wanted to update the CPLD firmware while I was at it. I can't update the firmware on my HBA's either without Windows installed. It truly is a pain.

0 Kudos
jeremypage
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's not good news, I just ordered my first 3850m2 and I suspect I'll get to enjoy the same benefits Smiley Wink

Please post back if/when you find a resolution. You could probably add a few packages to your ESX servers and then run the Linux versions...but I don't like adding stuff that didnt come with the original OS if I can help it.

0 Kudos
mattinator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I went to IBM's support website and picked VMware ESX Server for the operating system. It narrowed down the choices to updates that are able to be applied as a DOS update utility ... might be worth looking at and seeing if this makes life easier for you. I have Dell servers and that is how I apply the patches is by booting to a CD or floppy (using a TEAC USB floppy drive) to apply my firmware and HBA updates. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've already done that and when I boot via the Dos Boot discs I get an error saying the server is SYSTEM PROTECTED and that I have to use a flash disk. Makes no sense to me.

0 Kudos
mattinator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What does IBM support say about not being able to apply these updates using the software that they provided to do the update? Hopefully, they have a KB article on it and how to work around the System Protected error message ... is there a setting in the BIOS to remove the protection?

0 Kudos