VMware Cloud Community
seamus19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you backup the ESX SERVER

We have 6 ESX 3.0.1 servers, connected to SAN. All our VM 's (18) are connected to the SAN. With all the vmx files and the vmdk files stored on the HOSTS should we be concerned with backup of these HOSTS. We have HA configured along with DRS in 1 cluster. Can we backup the HOSTS? Does anyone use CA Brighstor to backup the HOSTS?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well if you have a SAN environment, and no VM's on the host, just reinstall the host.

If your host goes down, and it's not recoverable, chances are it will take less time to simply rebuild the HOST, than to try to go to the trouble of restoring it.

I have done dozens of VI3 installs, it takes 10 minutes TOTAL to configure and install. Other than some convoluted network setups, everything else should be a piece of cake.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well if you have a SAN environment, and no VM's on the host, just reinstall the host.

If your host goes down, and it's not recoverable, chances are it will take less time to simply rebuild the HOST, than to try to go to the trouble of restoring it.

I have done dozens of VI3 installs, it takes 10 minutes TOTAL to configure and install. Other than some convoluted network setups, everything else should be a piece of cake.

0 Kudos
seamus19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So what you are saying is that it is not necessary to backup the host since all our data is stored on the SAN.

So there would be no files that I would need then on the HOSTS. Yes all the VM's are on the SAN

0 Kudos
biekee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you would like to backup the config you always can run "vm-support -x" Then all your config will be written to a .tgz file, do this weekly and copy this file to a samba share.

see if this helps,

bk

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm with RParker.

If you're virtual machines are on the SAN and I trust being backed up, then the host really doesn't contain anything of great value.

You may wish to grab /etc incase your documentation is out of date and doesn't reflect hostnames IP addresses etc.

But, because you're using HA and DRS anyway you'll have time to quickly reinstall and reconfigure a host should you suffer a failure.

I'd spend some time creating a scripted build, that way you can make the process slicker.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I agree, one thing we also do with our hosts is copy the /etc directory and save that.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
Slavek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What's the command to run the restore on a new rebuilt box?

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

My 2 cents worth. It is really worth building a scripted install. My scripts do most all of the configuration and anyone in my department can rebuild a server if needed.

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

thanks for the helpful

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos