VMware Cloud Community
jpawlicki2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do end users access created vm on an ESX server?

I am new to ESX and am wondering how a end user can get access to a virtual machine created on a ESX server. Say I build an ESX server and install 4 XP virtual machines on it through VSphere how can a end user get to anyone of them?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

they have no need to know anything about ESX. A simple method would be to give them each a PC name and using RDP connect to the XP Desktop that way.

Another way, as mentioned would be using VMware View and setting up a connection broker and having the users access their desktops via the View Client.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - most organizations control who can create to help control VM sprawl - but if you feel this user can be trusted you can provide to the the vSphere client and give them access to the ESX server (if it is a standalone server) or to vCenter to create a VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As I understood you are wondering how does end user gain control over his VMs. It is done by VMware permissions (either local on ESX host, or via vCenter). If customer X has permissions to VM1 and VM2, and customer Y to VM3 and VM4, then they won't see other VMs (other than theirs)

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

... I understood the question differently, so 1 of the 3 of us has to be correct Smiley Happy

your users would access the vPC's through RDP, VNC, but I wouldn't give them console access.

jpawlicki2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I'll give an example:

I am the admin and I create 5 Win XP VMs on my ESX server, now I have a classroom that I setup for 5 new users to learn basic PC skills.

How would they log into these VMs that are sitting on the ESX server?

0 Kudos
jpawlicki2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How would they get to the ESX server and know what to RDP into?

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since you mention XP desktops - if it was VDI a broker would take care of the connectivity for you. If it is just a few PC's then you could connect to each PC using Windows remote desktop connection and RDP connectivity - you need to know either the computer name or IP address and would need to be running a MS desktop.

I think you may also want to check MS licensing for using MS desktops - you may need a VECD license on top of your OS licenses.

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

they have no need to know anything about ESX. A simple method would be to give them each a PC name and using RDP connect to the XP Desktop that way.

Another way, as mentioned would be using VMware View and setting up a connection broker and having the users access their desktops via the View Client.

0 Kudos
jpawlicki2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks dude:D

0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Think troy is right, RDP or VNC...