VMware Cloud Community
ukjimmy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do a I move vm templates from one host to another host in the same cluster

Hi

Can someone please let me know how I move vm templates from one host to another host in the same cluster?

Thanks

James

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

Convert it to a virtual machine (right click on guest and choose the appropriateoption), move it via the migrate function (right click on guest and choose "Migrate") and convert it back to a template (right click on guest again and choose to convert it back to a template).

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can someone please let me know how I move vm templates from one host to another host in the same cluster?

right click the VM, set it to be a VM, migrate it. Right click after migration is complete, and set it back to template.

Templates aren't any different than regular VM's the trick is they can't be moved while in template mode.

AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

Convert it to a virtual machine (right click on guest and choose the appropriateoption), move it via the migrate function (right click on guest and choose "Migrate") and convert it back to a template (right click on guest again and choose to convert it back to a template).

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

....you don't really need to move the template, if you want to deploy off of it. You can deploy to any host in any cluster as long as they are in the same datacenter.

but as stated already, it's a pretty easy process to move it.

ukjimmy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick replies. I was looking for a right click move... kind of thing.

On another point about templates... would having the templates on the hosts stop HA and DRS from working? I know HA rules take the biggest amount and use it for all the vm's when trying to fit all the vmware across a cluster when i host goes down.

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, having a template on an ESX Host will not affect the functionality of HA.

0 Kudos
clairvoyancemas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MOVE TEMPLATE BETWEEN ESX HOSTS:

1.  Right-click on template and click on Remove from Inventory (no need to convert it to a virtual machine).

2.  Go to Configuration tab of the destination HOST ESX server. Click on Storage in the left Navigation pane. Right-click the datastore which contains the Template folder and files then choose Browse Datastore.

3.  In the Datastore Browser window, go inside the folder name of the Template. Right-click the *.vmtx file and choose Add to Inventory.

0 Kudos
RavindraReddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank You...! it works for me.

Instead of converting it to VM and again back to teamplate , its easy to remove from inventory and add it back.

0 Kudos