VMware Cloud Community
artena2008
Contributor
Contributor

How do I run ESX maintenance without Vmotion capabilities

Hi.

I have 2 ESX 3.5 servers with a tvirtualised Virtual Center server. Recently, my 60 days trial for Vmotion expired. Prior to its expiry, I was performing the ESX updates for each ESX hosts by Vmotioning my VC server from one ESX hosts to another while performing the updates on the respective ESX hosts.

With Vmotion disabled, how do I perform updates on the ESX host that VC server is on? Because when you put the ESX host to maintenance mode, all VM has to be shutdown.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

You'll need to purchase a vMotion license if you want to continue to have that functionality, once the eval expires you're pretty much on your own. You can either power down your VM(s) for the upgrade or suspend the VM if they're on shared storage, unregister and re-register them on the other host which will allow you to keep them running but you will still have that outage from the time you un-register and re-register.

ghettoQuickMigrate does something similar using VMware VIMA

You see how useful vMotion is, it's worth the purchase Smiley Wink

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
artena2008
Contributor
Contributor

Hi William,

Cheers for the response. What I am worried about is that all these while I am under the impression that you need to have the Virtual Center server alive while performing any maintenance work on the ESX hosts and I've been busy moving it from one ESX host to another and with Vmotion now being disabled, I am still in doubt if I need to keep this server alive as it sits on one of my 2 ESX servers.

I posted the same question in Expert Exchange and I was informed that you do not have to keep the Virtual Center Server powered on and you can directly connect to the ESX host that is under going maintenance through VI Client. Doable?

No doubt about the Vmotion feature and worth getting it except that it costs HEAPS!

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes that is correct, Maintenance Mode is not a feature of vCenter. You initial question asked how might you continue, hence you either purchase the vMotion license or you shutdown all VM(s) and perform your host maintenance, whether that be patching or hardware upgrade. In this case, you can manage the host by putting it in maintenance mode manually by directly connecting using your VI Client and to do so you'll need to shutdown or suspend all your VM(s).

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, you will have to shutdown the vCenter VM and point your VIC directly to the ESX Host, then put it into maintenance mode. Once in maintenance mode, you can patch it using a couple methods, one would be to download the updates to a FTP site and script your install process with a esxupdate --noreboot option

you may want to take a look at the below link as well

Once patching is done, log back into the host that your vCenter VM is registerd on, and power it back on. Once it's on, you can connect to it again using the VIC.

0 Kudos
artena2008
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks William!!!

0 Kudos