VMware Cloud Community
mrose1120istar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I perform a storage migration?

Hi all,

I'm trying to ensure that all my volumes are running on the best backend and i'm looking into using Storage VMotion but I can not find anything regarding how to perform one. Could someone point me in a direction of how to do this? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ryan_Witschger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are two ways to do this:

First, VMWare did not include this in their UI. You have to acquire the VMWare CLI (Command Line Interface) which is bascially justa a set of perl scripts that allow you to mimic much of the functionality of the graphical client. Once installed you'll have a script called svmotion.pl. Run it and it gives you usage information. If you want a quick one off migration run "svmotion.pl --interactive" and it give you a quick wizard.

Second, and I am yet to do this, the community has developed a plugin for the Console available here:

Thanks,

Ryan Witschger

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ryan_Witschger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are two ways to do this:

First, VMWare did not include this in their UI. You have to acquire the VMWare CLI (Command Line Interface) which is bascially justa a set of perl scripts that allow you to mimic much of the functionality of the graphical client. Once installed you'll have a script called svmotion.pl. Run it and it gives you usage information. If you want a quick one off migration run "svmotion.pl --interactive" and it give you a quick wizard.

Second, and I am yet to do this, the community has developed a plugin for the Console available here:

Thanks,

Ryan Witschger

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I also wrote a (perl) script to invoke svmotion, which also detects if you're going to run into the thin provisioning bug

http://vmprofessional.com/index.php?content=vmpmotion

Also ( in my experience ), it works in large enviornments well where the plugin does not.