VMware Cloud Community
Vmware_Moron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I copy a folder (guest folder) from one vmfs volume to another?

I downloaded Winscp, but I can't seemed to drag and drop through windows interface.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ac57846
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you have Virtual Centre you can use it to relocate the VM. Use the Migrate option, select the same server as the destination & then choose to relocate the VM files.

Otherwise use the VI client, remove the VM from the inventory. Browse the datastore & select the VM folder. Click the Move button (page with a green arrow to the left) and browse to the new daatstore.

Once relocated browse the new datastore, right click the .vmx file and select Add to Inventory.

Al.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ac57846
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you have Virtual Centre you can use it to relocate the VM. Use the Migrate option, select the same server as the destination & then choose to relocate the VM files.

Otherwise use the VI client, remove the VM from the inventory. Browse the datastore & select the VM folder. Click the Move button (page with a green arrow to the left) and browse to the new daatstore.

Once relocated browse the new datastore, right click the .vmx file and select Add to Inventory.

Al.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have VirtualCenter you can shut down the VM, right click on it and select clone (or migrate if you want to just move the vm). Without VC, you should use the command vmkfstools to copy the vmdk file for the VM between volumes. You'll run the command

vmkfstools -i /source_patch/source.vmdk /destination_path/destination.vmdk

You can then copy the other files with the cp command. You'll run both these commands at the console or via SSH. If you're moving the vmdk between hosts (and you have no VC), you'll want to export the vmdk and then import it with vmkfstools - see this kb article - kb.vmware.com/kb/900.

Vmware_Moron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all for pointig me in the right direction. I will install VC.

0 Kudos