VMware Cloud Community
htt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How Many Virtual Processors in VM?

Hi guys,

I have ESX35 install on an ML570 G3 with 4 phyisical CPU, hyperthreading enabled. In the Configure tab, the # of Logical Processors is 8, per the attached screenshot. I downgraded to VI3 from VI4 and have 4 single CPU licenses. The sale rep said the license goes with physical CPU, up to 4 cores per CPU. However when I created a VM, I can only set up to a maximum of 4 virtual processors. Is this correct? I thought I can assign up to 8 virtual processors in each VM.

Thx.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
K-MaC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello htt. Unfortunately, in order to use 8way vSMP you need the Enterprise Plus license of vSphere. Please see the following page for more information.

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/buy/editions_comparison.html

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
K-MaC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello htt. Unfortunately, in order to use 8way vSMP you need the Enterprise Plus license of vSphere. Please see the following page for more information.

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/buy/editions_comparison.html

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As Kevin pointed out only vSphere with an Enterprise Plus license can you create a vm with 8 virtual CPUs - in VI-3 you can only have a vm with a maximum of 4 virtual CPUs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VI3 --> Max vCPUs per VM = 4

VI4 Enterprise Plus --> Max vCPUs per VM = 8

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

htt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so in my case did I waste 2 physical processors and 2 CPU licenses when I use the 4 CPU ML570 server for ESX or ESX still untilizes all CPUs but limits the # of virtual processors in each VM?

Thx.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No you did not - ESX will utilize all physical CPUs to schedule VMs on which means you will be able to host more virtual machines -

0 Kudos
htt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Per VM limit indeed. ESX will schedule on all cores regardless.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos