VMware Cloud Community
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hot Migration

Can you VMotion a server and relocate the data without taking the server down?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dmotion will only work if you're moving the VM from an ESX 2.5.x server to 3.0.x. If you're all 3.0.1 then you'll need to shut down the VMs for the move.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not with the current version. You would have to shut down the VM to move data stores. The next version of ESX 3.5 is supposed to support this.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Currently Dmotion (moving running VM's from one storage to another) is supported only from VMFS2 to VMFS3. The new version is supposed to expand on this so you can do it between VMFS3 volumes.

http://www.virtualization.info/2007/08/vmware-esx-server-31-virtualcenter-21.html

Storage VMotion (formerly DMotion)

Unofficially introduced with ESX Server 3.0.1, in its first version DMotion is a special VMotion operation only capable of moving running virtual machines from an ESX Server 2.5.x host to a new ESX Server 3.x., without shared SAN LUN mandatory requirement.

In ESX Server 3.1 this capability will be extended, allowing hot migration of running virtual machines between ESX 3.1 hosts through the Ethernet cable.

Fyi…if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website: http://vmware-land.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running three hosts 3.0.1 on a cluster and they all see the SAN. So is it possible for the DMotion? or should I just request downtime?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dmotion will only work if you're moving the VM from an ESX 2.5.x server to 3.0.x. If you're all 3.0.1 then you'll need to shut down the VMs for the move.

0 Kudos