VMware Cloud Community
rf1908
Contributor
Contributor

Hosts and vm servers show as disconnected in Infrastructure Client

On Friday I added more licenses to the Virtual Infrastucture Client and since then after a few minutes it shows the hosts in the cluster as disconnected along with all the vm servers that are running in the cluster. The hosts and vm servers are still running and are still accessible but it makes managing and adding the new host to the cluster not possible. To remedy this I need to reboot the server the VMware Infrastructure Client is on, but this lasts for only 5 minutes before they show disconnected again. Has anyone run into this before?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jyvesd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using Virtual center with a License server or do you use host licenses? If you use a license server did you check lmtools to see if your licenses are ok? As the only thing that change were the license you might have a corruption with the lic file.

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Did you receive your licenses as (3) separate files? (1) VMCS.lic, (1) VI_Centralized.lic, and (1) VI_Singlehost.lic? This happened to me and the resolution was very simple, according to VMware support all I had to do was copy the last (10) lines of VCMS.lic (starts at "SERVER this_host ANY 2700" and ends at something like "DS0A 2BC7 5248 B92E 6F55 DAD8 162F") into my VI_Centralized.lic file at the end. then reread the license file from license manager.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
rf1908
Contributor
Contributor

I only received one file after I combined my previous central file with the additional license I purchased.

0 Kudos
jyvesd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try to relaod your licence file manually. First, in your VC server go to C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware License Server\Licenses and take a back-up of you vmware.lic. When done copy the new lice file that was created after merging your licenses (change the name to vmware.lic) and copy the new vmware.lic to C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware License Server\Licenses. When done restart the VMware license server in the windows services. And try again.

0 Kudos
rf1908
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried manually readding the license and I received a new license from VMware and I am still showing as disconnected in Virtual Center/ Infrastructure Client.

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

rf1908,

Try following these instruction to see if it helps.

0 Kudos
rf1908
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the post, but that did not help either. After 5 minutes it shows everything as disconnected again.

0 Kudos