VMware Cloud Community
lakr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host xxxxx currently has no management network redundancy

How do I get rid of this configuration issues, it's some irritable because it creates an alarm on my Cluster in VirtualCenter.

I have created 2 networks for the service console.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you dont need two service consoles or two networks for your service console,

all you need is to add a standby NIC on vSwitch that has your service console on it,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you dont need two service consoles or two networks for your service console,

all you need is to add a standby NIC on vSwitch that has your service console on it,

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Even a standby nic takes away a nic that you could use for your VM's.

I find it a pity VMware forces us to have 2 service console NIC's...I prefer to use my NIC's for my production VM's in a load balancing configuration.

0 Kudos
ashmoore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I really wish there was a way to disable this message.

It is -after all- my choice not to have redundancy.

All this message does is hide any real issues a server may have because the its shows as an alert all the time and masks real alerts.

And yes I know I can configure it this way or that way - that is not the point.

This message belongs in the "tell me once" category.

What is next ?

Permenant alerts when storage is not redundant, or other networks?

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I couldn't agree more. We didn't have this annoyance in ESX 3.0.x or any of the 2.x or 1.x releases.

Why the urgency to bother us with this now, and like others have said, where's the option to get rid of this annoyance should we choose to build out our infrastructure this way?

Jas

[i]Jason Boche[/i]

[VMware Communities User Moderator|http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2444][/i]

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It makes sense when you think of it in relation to the default isolation response. Since the default isolation response is to power off the VMs a switch failure and/or prolonged maintenance could prove to be a serious disruption in your virtual environment if you have HA enabled.

I agree that I think VMware has taken the wrong approach to this problem, but I think it behooves them to make it glaringly obvious that you should have management network redundancy.

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got rid of the error by creating 2 service console's without losing a NIC. On a 4 NIC server I use 1 NIC for Service Console, 2 NIC's for Production vswitch and a standby service console and 1 NIC for VMotion.

I just have to add a Service Console to an existing virtual switch and that is sufficient for the warning to go away. Of course you have to give it an IP and your management LAN has to be the same as your production LAN (or you need vlan tagging).

0 Kudos