VMware Cloud Community
learnlearn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host only networking on ESX 3.5 giving me issues

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and all the guys here are legends based on how much help I have seen given on these forums.

I am trying to setup host only networking on ESX 3.5, the tutorial i was following was based on vmware workstation but unfortunately I do not have workstation, I have googled this topic and from what i understand, I need to create a new vswitch and add network cards based on that network created on the new vswitch, the vswitch must not be physically connected to any other network.

I am not a VM expert at all and just starting, but when I create the vswitch and network under it, then edit a VM host to add the network card under the new vswitch, as soon as the machine boots up, an error comes up saying it cant locate the driver of a network card, a search on the operating system doesnt find any drivers and nothing works.

Please when sending replies, please explain as much as possible as I am not a VMware expert.

Please help

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Installing VMware Tools in the VM will most likely solve your issue. VMware Tools should always be installed, not only for driver support but also for e.g. performance and resource management.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

from what I understand you are adding a second virtual NIC to the VMs and attach this to the new internal vSwitch!?

Some questions so far. What's the operating system on these VM's? What kind of virtual NIC do you attach (E1000, ...)? Do you have VMware Tools installed on the virtual machines?

André

0 Kudos
learnlearn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply

The OS is windows 2008 server, I dont think I have VM tools installed. The NIC, is it supposed to be vmkernel network type and i am not sure what kind of nic i am selecting, i think its one where it says vnnetext or something like that.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Installing VMware Tools in the VM will most likely solve your issue. VMware Tools should always be installed, not only for driver support but also for e.g. performance and resource management.

André

0 Kudos
Tarunkumar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey

Try the below trick:

1. download the FastSCP or WinSCP.

2. browse the ESX host where you had create this VM

3. Locate the .vmx file

4. Open .vmx file in notepad

5. locate for NIC configuration in .vmx file (it should be e1000)

6. If it is not e1000  then change it.

7. Reboot the vm and you will find that NIC is available with driver

*** Make sure that the VM is powered off during this excersie****

0 Kudos
learnlearn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will try all the solutions and report the answer to everyone.

0 Kudos
learnlearn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all, it was vm tools that needed installing. you all legends !!

thanks.

0 Kudos