VMware Cloud Community
devrieskok
Contributor
Contributor

Higher screen resolution in templates lost after cloning

Hi All,

I've adding svga.maxWidth .maxHeight and .vramSize to the configuration file of a VM. The higher resolution is available and working. Converted this VM to template and started cloning for production. After booting up de new VM I noticed that the resolution had dropped to the default max 1180x885. The option for the 1280x1024 resolution is not available anymore. So I edited the configuration file again. Again the higher resolution is available and working. After recolating the VM I could start allover again because the screen resolution has defaulted back.

What do I need to do so the VM keeps the original configuration from the Template.

Regards Alfred

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

A clone takes basic info from the configuration file, but it doesn't copy it, it generates a new one. This is because the mac information for the NIC must be unique. You didn't say what guest OS you are using, but you should be doing this from the guest OS NOT the configuration file, especially since the changes are not persistent. If you have to rebuild your guest OS for some reason, you are going to have one looooong day making all the resolutions back the way they were.

The guest OS should be able to modify it's own resolution and make the changes once it's running, and then clone it. The clone will then be correct.

0 Kudos