VMware Cloud Community
vheff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Help needed with HP MSA1000 SAN and adding new ESX server

Hi all,

I've just connected a new ESX server to an HP MSA1000 High availability SAN (two fibre switches, two HBA's). When I go to SSP (Selective Storage Presentation) I can't see the new server's HBA's? I've tried a rescan from the CLI (just by typing rescan), and I've rebooted the new ESX server.

Any ideas? There must be something I'm doing incorrectly?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FERC_ESX1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You also need to put the new server into the proper zone. It's been a while since I've worked with the MSAs, so I can't tell you exactly what to do, but you do that from the FC switch interface.

vheff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've now put both HBA's into the zone I created for the ESX servers (I totally forgot about this, getting tired!) But... in the SPP selection, I can only see one of the ESX servers HBA's. When the zoning is changed, or HBA's are added, should the SPP selection screen update as soon as I hit rescan?

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi - Did you add the WWN's of the 2 HBA's to the zone on both switches? Did you enable the config after making these changes on both switches?

And yes - after you re-scan the MSA controller the SSP should update (assuming you have saved and enabled the new zone config)

0 Kudos
vheff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, on each switch I added the new HBA into the ESX zone, saved it, re-enabled it. This is wierd, because still only one HBA on the first switch is found. I've taken my config out of switch2 and done it again, but still no results. I'm using QLogic 2432 adapters, and when I CTRL-Q into each of them I can see the MSA1000 fine. I can also see the HBA's on ESX, but the ACU (SSP) won't pick it up.

0 Kudos
vheff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I finally got it working, but I can't say how. I thought I'd try and use the ACU from another server which was running 7.85 (previously was 7.81), so maybe this is something to do with it? Anyway, thanks for your help. If anyone else has seen these issues I'd love to know!

Ray

0 Kudos