VMware Cloud Community
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Help - deleted vmdk file by accident

Hi

I have stupidly managed to delete a couple of vmdk files - I still have the server-flat.vmdk's however.

Can I recreate the vmdk file somehow?

Thanks - quick response before anyone notices would be appreciated!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This reference will help you out:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/73513

Shan

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

this one worked for me:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100724...

Purpose

Use the VMDK Recovery Tool to:

Create a “block list” of your VMDK files. The block list file is a plain text file that keeps a record of all VMDKs of the virtual machines.

Recover VMDK files if they become deleted, or if the VMFS datastore gets deleted or corrupted.

Limitations

The VMDK Recovery Tool is a utility VMware provides in ESX 3.5 Update 3 as experimental software.

Experimental means that the tool is not supported and might not work as expected in all customer environments.

The tool is not available for ESXi.

You cannot restore from multiple block list files.

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unless I am being thick (which is possible) it appears you need to have run the backup prior to deleting the files? It doesnt recreate them

read block list for /vmfs/volumes/49ec970d-da915e28-bfb6-00215adbb24e/muceav04/DMotion-scsi0:00_muceav04-000001.vmdk

Failed to open virtual disk: The parent of this virtual disk could not be opened 23

Basically I have the flat files (the data) but need to recreate the vmdk file

0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This reference will help you out:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/73513

Shan

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok a little progress but I get a new error in the vmware.log file on startup now. Seems like the snapshot is complaining about the date on the new disks - is it just a case of changing the date?>

Jun 16 15:03:23.684: vmx| DISK: Cannot open disk "/vmfs/volumes/49ec970d-da915e28-bfb6-00215adbb24e/muceav04/DMotion-scsi0:00_muceav04-000003.vmdk": The parent

virtual disk has been modified since the child was created (18).

Any further ideas?

0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Looks like your VMX still pointing to a Snapshot. Can you please post your VMX here?

Shan

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So after a little fight with the snapshots - its all back up and running thanks.

0 Kudos