VMware Cloud Community
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Having trouble using VMware Converter to import a stand-alone VM

I am having some dificulty importing a stand-alone VMware VM. My log shows the following error messages and then the import terminates. The log file is attached.

Thanks

2007-12-20 08:44:25.552 'App' 3516 info NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Host address lookup for server aaesx02a failed: No such host is known

2007-12-20 08:44:25.552 'App' 3844 error Failed to establish hostagent session: Host address lookup for server aaesx02a failed: No such host is known

2007-12-20 08:44:25.552 'App' 3844 info BlockLevelCloning::task step "copy local->remote" destroyed 2007-12-20 08:44:25.552 'App' 3844 error BlockLevelCloning::task: Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.NfcConnectionFault

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for the late reply but have just got back from holiday.

Log into VC, select esx host, select the configuration tab, select the dns and routing option.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IB_IT
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

can you provide a little more detail? Does Converter fail immediately when you try to import? Where is this standalone (network, dns, etc) vs your ESX host?

0 Kudos
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM is created and the converter starts cloning the disk. When I watch the task status on the VirtualCenter client I see the VM get created and then destroyed.

We are just prototyping a virtualized infrastructure right now. I have three servers and a PC in my area that I set up for the prototype. One of the servers is running VirtualCenter and the PC is running the VirtualCenter client. Both of these machines are on our Windows domain. The two ESX servers are on a separate LAN that is not part of the domain. In fact, it is local to my area. This LAN is using 192.168.0.x for its addresses. Does this help?

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Had a look at your log file and found this line. "Failed to connect to peer. Error: Host address lookup for server aaesx02a failed: No such host is known" which could be an issue. Have a look at your DNS settings.

IB_IT
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also, what OS is this standalone VM? There have been import issues from Windows operating systems with VMWare Converter. Some of the error messages in VMWare Converter are fixed simply by logging in as the local administrator and performing the import from that machine. That is, the BUILT-IN local administrator, not just any local administrator. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"The two ESX servers are on a separate LAN that is not part of the domain" This will be part of the problem as these machines will not be resolved. A work round you could try is to edit the host file on the machines involved and add the entries for the ESX servers. Haven't tried it but it may work.

timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try doing the following

Check basic network:

· ping from source system to VC host

· ping from VC to ESX target system

· ping from source system to ESX target system

· ping from ESX target system to VC host

· ping from ESX target to source system

Check the port usage (use telnet to verify):

· Converter application to remote physical machine - 445 and 139

· Converter application to VirtualCenter Server - 443

· Converter application to ESX Server 3.x - 443

· Physical machine to VirtualCenter Server - 443

· Physical machine to ESX Server 3.x - 443 and 902

0 Kudos
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I updated the hosts files on the ESX machines and the VC host machine when I set up the ESX machines. All of the connections between those machines on the 192.168.0.x network work fine. I verified this using ping. Your suggestion to check the DNS led me to try the import using the ip address of the target ESX machine. This time the request timed out. So I suspect the real problem is that I can't connect from the machine I'm running the converter on to the ESX machine because they are on different physical networks. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this right away.

And I just verified that my suspicions were correct. I installed the converter on the VC host and everything appears to be working now. Thanks for you help.

0 Kudos
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The OS in the stand-alone VM is Windows Server 2003. Actually, I

converted this VM from a Microsoft VM. So there certainly could be some

problems with the VM. However, I am concerned about this error message:

"Failed to connect to peer. Error: Host address lookup for server

aaesx02a failed: No such host is known". I wonder if I don't have more

fundamental issues with my set up.

This is my 1st attempt at working with VI3. I have a little experience

with VMServer. So, I can certainly accept the fact that maybe my

installation of ESX is not quite write.

0 Kudos
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm much more familiar with Windows and very unfamiliar with the 'nixes.

So, pardon me for being so dumb, but how do I check the DNS settings on

my ESX server?

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for the late reply but have just got back from holiday.

Log into VC, select esx host, select the configuration tab, select the dns and routing option.

0 Kudos
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I discovered my problem. Hope you had a nice holiday.

0 Kudos