VMware Cloud Community
akhanca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Having issues with new virtual machine install

Hi All,

I setup new ESX server 3.0.0, now i want to setup new virtual server on this host (windows 2003). When i power on the virtual server it doesn't reconsige CD/dvd rom. Because of this i am not able to install any vitual OS on this new host setup.

Please advice, thanks for your help in advance.

For Cd/DVD setting for vitual machine is default

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi , we are using IDE DVD drive and using DVD media

to install VM. I tried every thing but no luck. last

option i have is to try IOS install. But i am not

familiar with uploading IOS image. Please some one

let me know where to update and which tool i can use

to do so. You help will be highly appreciated.

To make an ISO from a CD or DVD I like to use this tool for Windows:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Then use something like FastSCP or WinSCP to upload it to your shared space and mount it in the VMs settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check the boot order in the VMs BIOS.

Check that the virtual CD device (ISO, hosts CD) is connected when powering on the VM.

0 Kudos
akhanca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Oreeh,

I checked CD is first in order for boot

For VM Cd device is selected as host device /dev/cdrom and connect on power is checked.

0 Kudos
samugi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you have the install CD in the ESX host cd rom then make sure your vm config is set to 'host device' and that it is set to 'connect at power on'

If the CD is in the cd drive in your workstation you are working from the CD drive on your vm should be configured to client device. With this config AFTER you boot up you will have to select the 'Virtual CDROM' button on your screen. It wont be instantly recongnized you you will have to issue a soft reboot of the VM "ctrl-alt-ins" and then you should be able to load your os.

You also have the option to load for ISO and doing so follow the same setup as with the host device at power on, but you also have to set in the cd/dvd config the path to the .iso image.

Hope this helps.

SCP

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your host system uses a DVD drive this sometimes is a problem.

The fastest way to install a VM is to use an ISO image.

0 Kudos
akhanca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply, i tried what you told me, but still it is not booting from Cd rom. I setup in properties of Cd/DVD to connect to client CD and follow your instructions. I did try with host Cd but still the same response and Vm is trying to boot from network after looking for cd/dvd and HDD.

What could casue VM not to boot from CD/dvd

Please help

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Make sure that no other VM is configured to use the host device or revert to the ISO method.

0 Kudos
akhanca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I never install ISO image method. Do you know where i can find the instruction for the installation or guide me please how to do IOS image install for OS. I really appreciate your help in his matter.

0 Kudos
samugi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the Virtual Machines bios has the boot order correct, and your config is set right that should be it.

Just to recap, you set your configuration to client CD, powered on the VM. After the vmconsole screen showed it trying to boot you selected the 'Virtual CDROM' button (then selected Connect d:) . You then clicked back into your console window and pressed ctrl-alt-ins and the VM rebooted.. And you still were not able to load the OS?

I would verify that your Media is bootable by trying to boot from it on a physical box.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are lots of (free) tools available to create an ISO image (google is your friend).

Any CD/DVD burning software is able to do it too

With Linux you can just use "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=windows.iso" to create the ISO.

0 Kudos
akhanca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Scpierce,

I did follow every thing as you said, but still doesn't boot from CD rom. I double check media (DVD) and it is bootable.

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First thing to check is that the CD drive is mapped and "connect" and "connect on startup" are both checked in the settings page for the VM.

I've also had to hit ESC when the VM boots to manually select the boot device. Obviously, you'll need to make sure that the CD drive shows as connected.

Just to test the setup, can you map the CD to another VM, boot into the guest OS and access the drive?

0 Kudos
akhanca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Bjmoore,

Yes, it is mapped and showing connected on startup. It is my first VM so i can't test to connect with other VM.

0 Kudos
samugi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please dont take offese to this as I offer it as a suggestion only because I've done it myself.

Is the media your trying to boot from a CD or DVD and If its a DVD is the drive your trying to boot fram a DVD drive?

(I know but I spent ...too long on one occasion troubleshooting a situation just like this to find I was trying to boot from a dvd and my server just had a cd drive)

0 Kudos
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The fastest and easy way is to install from an ISO. Either ISO your DVD or download an ISO copy (as previous posters have mentioned) and upload it to your vmimages directory using SCP or VEAM SCP.

If you intend on installing another VM using the same disk or if you need the disk to install additional extras than having the ISO readily available to the VM makes things allot faster.

0 Kudos
zyx100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is your phisical DVD-drive is IDE or SATA? I ask this not because I know for sure that there might be some problems with SATA drive but because I am just guessing. Who knows maybe it makes sense.

0 Kudos
akhanca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi , we are using IDE DVD drive and using DVD media to install VM. I tried every thing but no luck. last option i have is to try IOS install. But i am not familiar with uploading IOS image. Please some one let me know where to update and which tool i can use to do so. You help will be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi , we are using IDE DVD drive and using DVD media

to install VM. I tried every thing but no luck. last

option i have is to try IOS install. But i am not

familiar with uploading IOS image. Please some one

let me know where to update and which tool i can use

to do so. You help will be highly appreciated.

To make an ISO from a CD or DVD I like to use this tool for Windows:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Then use something like FastSCP or WinSCP to upload it to your shared space and mount it in the VMs settings.

0 Kudos