VMware Cloud Community
rboteler
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone installed LanSafe onto ESX before?

I have installed the lansafe member software onto the service console, however I am unsure if it is working corectly.

The member software is installed on our 2 ESX 3.5 hosts, and the controller software is on our 2003 vc server. I can see a test windows computer in the member tab, however cant see any of my ESX hosts is this normal?

If anyone has installed and is using Lansafe I would be gratefull if you could tell me what your oppinion is...

thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rboteler
Contributor
Contributor

Have figured out why the ESX hosts wernt appearing on the member list.

you need to open ports 3068, 3069 and 7015 on the esx firewall...

0 Kudos
blittrell
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to do the same thing and get the same result, the lansafe docs say to only open the port for incoming (at least I am assuming in means incoming), do the 3068,3069 and 7015 ports need to be set up in both directions instead?

Regardless, I have opened them in both directions with no luck. Is there an apply setting or something else that may be over-looked here? Do a packet capture on another Linux server I found the only communication is actually 3069.

Any help would be apreciated.

0 Kudos
johsa
Contributor
Contributor

Seemed that here was no solution for this and after my struggle and log analyze i could share how I got this to work.

First i followed the document http://lit.powerware.com/ll_download.asp?file=LanSafe_VMware_InstallGuide.129.pdf

This did not make the LanSafe to appear on the LanSafe manager.

What I did to get this to work was configure the firewall to accept also udp ports 3068 and 3069 in and out.

Example:

esxcfg-firewall -o 3069,udp,in,LanSafe

Restarted the firewall:

service mgmt-vmware restart

Then I restarted the LanSafe services:

/etc/init.d ls.init stop

/etc/init.d ls.init start

After this the ESX server appeared in the Manager and I could edit from there the shutdown times successfully.

Hopefully this helps...

Regards Johan

0 Kudos
blittrell
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this helps any but I did finally get this to work, it uses UDP, not TCP or maybe it is TCP not UDP.  I remember the protocols were off and that is why it kept failing.

0 Kudos