VMware Cloud Community
Sp0cky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has anyone had any weird issues with having a physical domain controller and virtual machines?

In general? I am curious.

Secondly, I have a physical DC and a virtual exchange 2k3 that I build. On restart of the entire environment, the Virtual Exchange computer account disappeared from my physical AD server. The exchange server still had tht it was a member of the domain in the my computer tab. But when attempting to logon, the domain computer account was no longer there.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You should not convert AD systems if you can help it.

You may want to review this doc.

“Considerations when hosting Active Directory domain controller in virtual hosting environments”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No problems, outside of the normal problems that any AD domain will have.

Buy computer account disappeared what do mean?

Is it that you cannot logon as a Domain user from the Exchange system?

Or is the computer account missing from the AD systems ADUC?

0 Kudos
Nick_F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not had any issues here running with a similar config, not done an entire environment restart yet though...

Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

By domain account not visible what do you mean? Things that come to mind:

- You cannot logon to a DC using a local account

- If your Exchange server does not see any DC which is a GC (Global Catalog) server you cannot logon (and the exchange services will not start)

Please give us more details on the actual problem.

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
Sp0cky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I went to logon to the exchange vm, it said the computer account did not exist on the domain. So I went t othe vm'd DC and no where was the exchange server computer account showing as if it had disappeared. I THINK this may have been that I cloned a domain machine and somewhere in the process it got corrupted. I have to investigate more. Thank you for the replies.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You should not convert AD systems if you can help it.

You may want to review this doc.

“Considerations when hosting Active Directory domain controller in virtual hosting environments”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794

0 Kudos
Sp0cky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

O Thanks. So you mean build the vm and then add it to AD. Yea thats prolly what I did. I cant think of any other explanation for it.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yep you want to create a VM and then dcpromo that VM. You can then transfer over FSMO roles to the VM. make sure everything is running fine befor ditching your physical systems.

Read the doc that I linked in my previous post as it has some important gotchas.

As a rule you do not want to run snapshots against AD controller VMs. Just FYI

0 Kudos