VMware Cloud Community
phil210802
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hard disk space not re-allocated to pool when vm machine deleted

I have recently added a vm machine with a 150GB hard disk allocation, I have recently noticed that I do not need this space and have therefore deleted the hard disk, BUT the 150GB hasn't been re-allocated to the pool, any ideas?

Cheers

Phil.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok. This problem afects Virtual Infrastructure Client only with no space loss. Though you are not using VirtualCenter 2.0.2 I think If you upgrade to VMware ESX 3.0.2, it might be fixed because it comes a new Virtual Infrastructure Client version.

rgds,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It has been solved in VirtualCenter 2.0.2 :

"VI Client Immediately Reflects the Available Datastore Free Space on the Target LUN After a Migration Operation

In this release, after a migration operation, the free space available in the datastore on the target LUN is immediately updated and reflected in the Virtual Infrastructure Client UI. In earlier releases, there was a considerable delay before the free space available in the datastore on the target LUN was updated."

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/releasenotes_vc202.html#resolvedissues

0 Kudos
phil210802
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunatly I do not have VirtualCenter.

This is a standalone ESX 3.0.1 box.

Cheers

Phil

0 Kudos
mattlewis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have the same problem. i have 2 esx boxes. on one of them i created a VM with a 20gb hard disk. later deleted the VM, and the disk space returned to the pool after rebooting the ESX box. on the other one, same scenario, but the disk space has never returned to the pool. rebooted a dozen times.

i NEED that disk space back!

0 Kudos
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you get a wrong disk space when did you type the "vdf -h" command through Service Console ?

0 Kudos
phil210802
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Surprisingly when I run vdf -h I get the correct amount of disk space being used and the correct amount available, however in Virtual Infostructure Client it displays differently.

Any idea's?

Cheers

Phil.

0 Kudos
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok. This problem afects Virtual Infrastructure Client only with no space loss. Though you are not using VirtualCenter 2.0.2 I think If you upgrade to VMware ESX 3.0.2, it might be fixed because it comes a new Virtual Infrastructure Client version.

rgds,

0 Kudos
phil210802
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

rubensluque,

I managed to get the space back by creating a new image of 1mb and then delete it and by doing so got the whole amount of missing space back.

Cheers,

Phil210802

0 Kudos
mattlewis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

funny thing for me is, i have 2 ESX 3.0.0 boxes. one of them does not have this problem. i have the upgrade downloaded, so we'll see what happens...

0 Kudos
mattlewis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, my problem was user failure.

i was just deleting a server. evidently, you need to remove the disc and delete them first. i was able to "add and existing disc" and basically add all my old discs hanging around, then remove them completely.

thanks guys.

0 Kudos